Pages

▼

Friday, June 1, 2012

Culture Kit



This summer I am participating in a Culture Exchange with several other families. Living abroad is an ultimate learning experience for any child but for those unable to travel, culture kits allow the world to become a little smaller. These allow children to experience a taste of a a culture/country that they may not know about or may only dream of visiting. This is my first cultural exchange so I was unsure of what to put in my kit. Hopefully what I have chosen will offer a view of the country we live in. This is what I will be sending my other families.


I created a mini book which discusses many of the wonders of our country. It contains maps, pictures around the country, mini T lessons on colors, numbers and sayings, customs, recipes, etc... I added packages of Salep which is a drink made from orchid bulbs, a mini rug, and a keychain of the eye that is very popular here.


I bought some postcards of familiar sights here, added a balloon with the national flag on it, and an array of coin money that we use.


I was lucky to find a puzzle of some of the famous sites. I added a paper doll craft, a coloring book, and a seek-n-find in T.


Lastly, I added some fun chocolate cookies and some tourist apple tea. I truly wanted to add T Delight but I was unable to find small packages. I may still add another sweet before I send them.

I am hoping this kit will allow the children who are receiving it to experience a little of the country we live in. If you would like to do your own Turkey country study, you may check my pinterest board. It has links to different sites with recipes and crafts. If you would like a copy of my mini book, please leave me a message and I will email it to you. It is a personal book with my daughter in it, so I won't post it as a download. I hope this post will encourage you to experience new cultures and possibly participate in your own cultural exchange.

 Worldwide Culture Swap is a good place to start for ideas on culture boxes and for joining a swap.


8 comments:

  1. What a great package you sent! Turkey is somewhere that I would love to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! My husband and I are headed overseas in a few years and I loved reading this! :) I'd love to invite you to share on Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! I know my readers will love your ideas too! :)
    Have a great weekend,
    Mackenzie :)
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/saturday-show-tell-13-whats-new-on-cl/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niki, hello!
    What a great idea and wonderful kit. We are going to Turkey in July with my little daughter Nina. And now we study information about your country.
    Can you send me a copy of your mini book, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to send it to you. I am missing your e-mail though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea. I can't wait until the kids are a little older and can participate and appreciate this type of activity. Thanks for sharing at the Kids Co-op!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love for you to link up with me: http://toddlefast.blogspot.com/2012/06/say-it-two-ways-thursdays.html I'm looking for language and cultural activities!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you please e-mail me your mini book activities for Turkey. I am a first grade teacher and in Social Studies we have a unit called friends near and far. The students selected Turkey and I am trying to find fun things to do with them. Where did you get the balloon from? My e-mail is castro1m35@yahoo.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete