Friday, August 30, 2013

Winter Promise Week 2

We are now in our second week of school. It has been hectic as ever and it is harder than I thought to homeschool in someone else's home. There are constant distractions and interruptions but I keep telling myself that J is still learning, no matter what. It can be frustrating. Here are a few pics of our week...


We are working on using base ten blocks to represent numbers in the teens.


J is working through her magnetic tiles for All About Reading Level 1. She learned to read last year but I think this will be a good review for her.


I found some old reading textbooks in a used book store. Since I knew that I was going to be traveling, I was looking for many stories in one book so J could practice her reading. These fit the bill. We read one story per week (a couple of times) and then J will work through some of the activities at the end of the story. I like the grammar that we are fitting in because the readers discuss it. This week, we learned about sentences.


J is working through the review drawing exercises at the beginning of her Art book. Here she is drawing Wally the Worm, practicing her straight lines, shading, etc...


J has been enjoying Ereth's Birthday by Avi. It is the main chapter book in our core program from Winter Promise. She began a journaling page in her notebook by learning to draw a porcupine from Ed Emberley's Drawing Animals book.


J is working on her Porcupine notebook page. After reading all about porcupines, she completed the notebook page. We also read about sharks and created a notebook page for them as well. J is really into sharks now, especially after Shark Week on The Discovery Channel!


What is better than swimming after you are done your work? J and Kaleb absolutely love the pool, they are constantly asking when they can go swimming. I can't say no and it is great exercise as well. Hope your week went well.

Book Suggestions for Winter Promise Week 2 
with a focus on porcupines


















I do not received any compensation for listing the books we used for our porcupine study this week. Can you tell that I am loving the library right now? J got her first library card and we walked out of the library with at least 30 books, DVD's, and one book on CD. I went somewhat crazy but it was a great visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment