Wednesday, November 16, 2016

FIAR - Owl Moon


Kaleb recently asked to learn about owls and what better book to add to our boy-directed learning but Owl Moon by Jane Yolen. Owl Moon is a Five in a Row title that we rowed along with our owl learning.


Kaleb has taken a sudden interest in writing by himself. He decided he wanted to write owl facts on his chart so he did. I spelled out what he wanted to write and he did it all by himself. Go, Kaleb! This chart came from First Grade Fever (link below).


Kaleb worked on the parts of an owl chart. He labeled all the parts of an owl. We learned about talons and hooked beaks. This free printable came from Imagine...Inspire...Innovate (link below).


 We watched some owl videos to hear the different sounds owls make. These were interesting.


I found a simple math activity from Paula's Preschool and Kindergarten (link below).  He had to solve the addition math problems and then color by number. All of the problems were doubles which we have been learning and reviewing daily.


Key words this week were talons, raptors, and carnivores. He made some mini books for his notebook defining these words.


Another owl math page that I found in the math pack by Paula's Preschool and Kindergarten (link below). He counted each type of owl and graphed the number on the chart. 


He made an owl from the letter O. Since I am not pushing him to read at the moment (I am waiting on him), we are practicing letter sounds. He likes these letter crafts so you may see more of them.


 I found some printable owl cards that I thought would made an excellent math activity. First, Kaleb measured out the average size of each owl species on yarn. He then taped the measured yarn to the owl cards.


Placing the owl/string cards on the bench, we were able to compare the different sizes of each owl. After some discussion, I had him put the owls in order from largest to smallest.


Here is his finished activity. He was able to see the variety of sizes of each type of owl. It was a great math activity. Also, you can see my tot in the back....smiling:) Not a bad week of Kaleb directed learning. We are off to learn about snakes. See you soon.

Links

House of Baby Piranha - has one of the ideas that I found using the letter O for an owl.

Real Life at Home - has a free printable pack for Owl Moon.

I Heart Crafty Things - has a great newspaper crafty owl that I truly wanted to make but I found I didn't have any newspaper:(

First Grade Fever - has the Owl can/have/are chart free printable that I used.

Paula's Preschool and Kindergarten - has the free owl math pages. I also used her owl measurement page to aid in our yarn measurement project.

Learn Create Love - has a free printable snowy owl page/craft to do.

Imagine Inspire Innovate - has the free printable owl diagram that we used.

Home School Share - has a few of the free printable books that we used for our owl study.




No comments:

Post a Comment