Thursday, October 12, 2017

FIAR - How to Make and Apple Pie and See the World


Our Five in the Row book these past few weeks has been How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie Priceman. It is definitely one of my favorites and I even used this book when I taught third grade overseas.


First, Kaleb made a passport so he could collect stamps for every country that he visited. Each country stamp also included the ingredient that was found there.


He learned about the parts of an apple as well as the life cycle of an apple.


He compared the weights of several items to the weight of an apple. He loved when I pull out the balance! He tried to discover the amount of blocks that would balance out his apple.


He wrote a mini book about how to make an apple pie.


We had a taste test of several types of apples which was fun. This was the first time we tasted Pink Ladies and learned that we liked them.


He mapped out the adventure in the book on a world map. We discussed why she would use certain types of transportation according to the map.


I challenged him to make an apple from Legos. He then made an orange candy corn man as well.


He worked on a mural of a cityscape which unfortunately got super wet when my tot spilled the paint water on it. We were disappointed but we had fun drawing it.


Lastly, we made an apple pie. I peeled the apples and he cut them. I used a store bought crust.


It turned out pretty good and we ate it with ice cream. This book took us a few extra weeks because of the hurricane but we finally finished it. We will be working on How to Make a Cherry Pie and See the USA next. It should only take a week for that book, then on to our next FIAR book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment