Thursday, October 27, 2011

Madeline (part 2)

Madeline

We are still reading and having fun with Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans. This past summer, I knew that we would be reading Madeline and I just happened to find this Paris shirt complete with a picture of the Eiffel Tower. J loved it.
We worked on our writing letters correctly. I wrote them on a chalkboard and gave J some water and a paintbrush to trace them.
We are still learning about France. We have read several books, listened to some French words, and we will be eating some Crepes tonight. I made this simple French flag puzzle for J to do.

I printed out twelve girls and we put the girls into two straight lines. We also "divided" them into three and four straight lines as well.
I found a simple drawing lesson on how to draw Madeline and we practiced following directions. Here's J's, not too bad.

We read about the appendix and looked at charts to locate it. J colored the body worksheet I found at Home School Share.

 We also learned about germs and how they make us sick. We conducted an experiment on the reasons we should wash our hands. First, I gave J some lotion to rub on her hands.

Then I placed some "germs" (glitter) on her hand.

Then she put her hands together and saw how the germs spread to her other hand, and somehow to me!

We tried to wipe the germs off with a paper towel but it just didn't work. So J had to wash her hands with soap and water.

For Science, we are learning about spiders. J helped me create a spider fact chart. After we read books about spiders, we add a fact to each of the spider's legs.

We have read several books about spiders and even played a game.

We learned about the different parts of a spider and labeled a diagram. J wrote the labels by herself.

And the game of the week is one that I found on the Internet. We have been practicing writing our numbers. So this was a chance to practice in a fun way. J would roll a die and place a pom pom on the number she rolled. She then would have to write the number.

It is called Spinner the Spider and it was found at CanDoKinders. She had some great printables. So far, it has been a good week. Some books are just easy to work with and Madeline is one of those books. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment