Monday, February 2, 2015

Jesus Calms the Storm

The Bible lesson for the week was Jesus Calms the Storm. I am super happy that we have been able to work with Bible again. I missed doing this with the kids.

Day 1:


We started our lesson on Jesus Calms the Storm with the kids coloring the sheet provided from the lesson while I read the story from the Bible.


I found a Books of the New Testament bulletin border at the Dollar Store. I cut up several of the strips to create a puzzle. For every set of books, I add to the "puzzle." Right now, we are learning Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. This was a super simple way to create a hands on learning experience for memorizing the books. I also made one for Kaleb, since I had a bunch of them. But for his puzzle, I made it more of matching. He matches the books to the picture instead of reading the books.


Our after-dinner-treat was Jesus Calms the Storm jello which is really just blue jello with orange slice boats complete with paper sails. I added whip cream for stormy weather. I didn't realize this but it was the first time my kids EVER had jello. Weird, huh? I never made it our other country, so it is an acquired taste.  Even though they tried it, they didn't like it. But, on the bright side, I was unaware that our oranges that we bought were blood oranges until I cut them open. I thought for sure the kids wouldn't try these. J not only tried them, she loved them. She has successfully worked through the entire bag, eating at least 2 a day! I guess I will have to buy more.

Day 2:


After reviewing the lesson again, J and Kaleb worked on a 3D boat depicting a possible scene from the lesson. This was a cute craft because it had the kids write what the apostles might have said while on the boat. J based her quotes by the looks on their faces. They read: (1) Maybe we should wake up Jesus, (2) We're gonna drown!, (3) Look Out! A BIG WAVE!, (4) What's going to happen to us?, and (5) How could He sleep through this? Super cute. I wrote the quotes for her since the word bubbles were just a tad small but everything written was by her. This free printable was from Gospel Hall (link below).

We continue to review our Books of the Bible.

Day 3:


Again, we read the story from the Bible and discussed it. I try to have some type of coloring or craft that they can do while I am reading.


This day, they made the craft from Meaningful Mama (link below). This was a cute idea, complete with a boat on a popsicle stick to act out the story. The kids decided to add black storm clouds and lightning.


J also added fish. She was very proud of her creation.



We also made ocean bottles with items around the house. I used canola oil, water, and blue food coloring. They added beads for fish, glitter, and made a mini toothpick boat to fit into the bottle.

Kaleb was so cute with this lesson. When we would read it, he would put his hand out and say,"Jesus, said, STOP!" And the waves did obey. Awesome lesson. See you next week!

Links

Flame Creative Kids - has a free  printable play dough mat for the lesson.

Gospel Hall - has a free printable 3-D boat with apostles to make complete with speech bubbles to fill in the conversations that took place.

Crafting the Word of God - has a cute printable craft for the lesson. I tried to print this but I had some difficulty. So we did not do it.

Meaningful Mama - also has cute craft with free printable.

Raising Little Disciples - make an ocean bottle complete with toothpick boat.


No comments:

Post a Comment