Our SpaceUnit is moving along and J is learning so much. She has truly enjoyed this unit which reinforces the idea of child-directed learning. She asks to work on Science first thing in the morning because she is learning to love it. This week, we learned about Mercury and Venus. We spend about 2 days on each planet and then use Friday for a catch-up day. On this day, we finish reading any book needed, finish our projects that had been started, and finish any writing . It is nice knowing we have an "extra" day to finish what we need to.
The books on her level that we have borrowed from the library have been great. She can read it out-loud to me and comprehend the information. I always look for ones she can read herself. She is reading about Venus.
After she read about the planets, she fills in a few research sheets of certain facts about each, such as how many moons does it have, the distance from the sun, etc..
She is working on a Mercury mini book that I found. All of the items she works on will be added to a Space Notebook.
She is also working on a mural underneath our kitchen bar. You can see her huge Sun with facts written on each of the rays. We add a planet after we learn about it.
J read about Venus and completed a page in her Planets book. She has to write three interesting facts about each planet and draw a picture.
She is still adding to her moon journal. Every night, she checks out the moon and draws what phase it is in. We are on to Earth and Mars. See you soon.
Links
Imagine Our Life - has a cute Solar System quiet book page with free printable pattern. You could use this pattern to make felt planets.
3 Dinosaurs - has a free Space printable pack loaded with stuff.
Paint Cut Paste - has a cute idea for a Solar System bracelet. I truly want to try this with J. Maybe I can find a different way to make the beads other than Sculpey.
Love to Felt - has a great felt Solar System, super cute for inspiration if you would like to make your own felt planets.
Elemental Blogging - has another version of the Solar System bracelet.
Educating Laytons - has two free printable planet play dough sheets.
Craftionary - has a free cut and paste planet order sheet.
Counting Coconuts - has some ideas for a Space unit. Love her felt planets.
Print-Cut-Paste-Craft - has a printable version of the Solar System.
I was reading another email, and I came across another homeschool blog, and one of their subscriber freebies is a Solar System Notebooking Pack...the name of the blog is called "Harrington Harmonies"...not sure if you'd be interested or not, but I just thought I'd throw that out there...
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! I just found them the other day and I will be checking them out.
Delete