We read books from the library about the Earth.
J labeled the layers of the Earth's crust for the notebook she is working on.
She worked on a Me on the Map mini book that I found from TPT (link below).
We learned about how to love the Earth by reducing, reusing, recycling, and planting. She made this Earth mobile with all of her ideas on how to love the Earth (link below).
Mars has the largest volcanoes in the whole Solar System - Olympic Mons. Our hands-on-project for the week was to make a salt dough volcano and erupt it.
The recipe I found to erupt the volcano consisted of baking soda, vinegar, and dish detergent. This is the first time I used dish detergent. I always just used the first two ingredients. I also added some red food coloring for effect. The dish detergent really made it bubble up. The kids loved it.
We had so much fun erupting the volcano that we used all of the vinegar that I had. We will be buying more soon to do it again!
Our last project was to make an Earth sun catcher from green and blue tissue paper and a project sleeve.
These turned out cute and are currently hanging in our window. Next week, we are moving on to learn about Jupiter and Saturn.
Lastly, in what school can you come dressed as Bat Girl? Only in Homeschool! J decided to work school in her Bat Girl Mask. How fun!
Links
Primary Theme Park - has a youtube list of videos for a Space Theme.
Chemistry.About.Com - has the idea for the volcano using flour, baking soda, and dish detergent.
Inspiring Teaching Design - TPT store has the free Me around the World printable booklet.
KTP on TPT - has the free printable Earth Day Promise mobile.
Mom on Time Out - has the Earth sun catcher tutorial.
No comments:
Post a Comment