Kaleb was chomping at the bit on Monday to start school. He was so excited, constantly asking when was it his time for school? We started with the letter A - A is for Airplane Unit that I created for Wheel School last year.
I planned about 5 or 6 activities for each day and placed what I needed for each activity in a ziplock bag. The bags were then put in a blue rubbermaid container to keep all of his school things together. I had originally planned to buy some plastic drawers for his school stuff but with all of our moving around, decided to wait until we get more permanent.
We started out with capital and lowercase letter A's. He traced the A's with airplanes. These blank letters will then be used for other activities.
He then traced the letters using the foam blocks that I found at the Dollar Store. He decided to use all of the circle blocks to trace the lowercase a.
Using his planes, he played the shape parking lot game. He threw the die and "landed" his planes in the correct spot. I took this time to talk about the color of each shape (this is on his learning goals that I wrote up before he started school this year). I found this free printable game on Happy Brown House (link below).
I found some chopsticks that look like a clothespin at the Dollar Store and this free cloud math printable from Miss Kaili Bug TPT store ( link below). I added some cute blue and white pompoms and had a fine motor activity. I wasn't sure this activity would be liked but it ended up being a hit! He loved it and we played for awhile, taking turns. He would only let me place the white pompoms on the cloud while he worked with the blue.
The last activity for the first day of school was a new sensory bin. I colored rice blue using food gel to represent the sky, added foam clouds, white/blue pompoms, airplane counters and letter A's to the mix. I have to say coloring rice with food gel gave the rice and awesome blue color - the only downside was when J played with it, the blue came off on her hands. It washed right off but I am not sure why the color didn't stick.
My parents gave these cows that spit little balls out of their mouths to the kids for Christmas last year. They are so cute and what better to knock the cups off the stool? I wrote capital and lower case letter A's on the cups and had Kaleb knock them to the ground. Then, I would ask him if the letter A was big or little.
Kaleb worked on a roll and graph page that I created for my A is for Airplane tot pack. He used mini-airplane stickers to keep track of what picture he rolled. Since we didn't stick the stickers, he can reuse the graph another day.
Kaleb was so excited about school all week that he even took the time to work with an airplane sewing card.
Another sensory project was to "paint" with shaving cream. I added a drop of blue food coloring to make clouds.
We worked on our colors by sorting large buttons into colored cups.
He also worked on learning his name. I created a simple sheet that he can trace the letters of his name and match letter tiles as well. I made a second set of name letter tiles and then hid them in the noodles. He had to find each letter and match them to his name.
One last activity was to stick airplane and letter stickers to our capital and lowercase A's. We used the letter print outs all week and this was a good ending project for preschool. It was great to see the enthusiasm for school from Kaleb. I pray that it doesn't leave. He was so thrilled to be part of our school day that he literally begged for it. We are on to the letter B - for boats, buses, and bikes. See you soon.
Links:
Wheel School - Letter A interactive notebook pages, free printable.
Happy Brown House - free printable Parking Lot Shape and Number Game.
Miss Kaili Bug TPT Store - cotton ball cloud counting free printable.
House of Burke and My Small Potatoes - both blogs had great ideas for the airplane sensory bin.
No comments:
Post a Comment