Tuesday, September 16, 2014

C is for Cement Mixers and Cars

We are just finishing up on our letter C week. Because of life (and multiple doctor visits), we had to extend the week of letter C. I also decided to add in a Before Five in a Row book - Corduroy by Don Freeman. BFIAR is on my curriculum list for Kaleb this year but we have been focusing on our letters and I am still collecting the books. All my BFIAR are currently out of the country :(


I changed my sensory bin for C. I took away the rice and added pop corn kernels. I included a few cement mixers and letter C's. A simple change but adding something new tends to peak his interest.


I finally replaced the play dough and gave him some plastic tools. He had fun hammering and sawing the play dough. This kept him busy enough so I could work with J.


Kaleb worked on a cement mixer sewing card.


I made a simple game with some plastic containers. I labeled each container with the letters A, B, and C. He threw soft little baseballs into the containers and told me the letter of the container. It was good review. I also labeled them with lower case letters.


Corduroy is a cute story about a bear who finds a friend. But he loses a button on his overalls. I found these cheap button magnets at the Dollar Store and had Kaleb trace the lower case letter C with them.


Then, he traced the upper case C with a variety of buttons. He started with using just the blue ones. He also made the observation that the buttons were not "sticking" and not "magnetic."


I gave Kaleb a cement mixer filled with ABC beads. He dumped them and then began to separate the letters.


We played a color/shape bingo game.


I brought out the transportation magnets from Melissa and Doug. He went through them, naming each vehicle.


Lastly, I gave him the new sensory bin. He added the alphabet beads from his other cement truck and went to town. We are moving on down the alphabet. Hope you are having a great week.

Links

Living Worlds Apart - Cement Mixer Plans with free printable game





No comments:

Post a Comment