Friday, September 26, 2014

Sonlight B + C Week 5

We finished Week 5 of Sonlight B+C Combined. We read about ancient civilizations, South American animals, and did some more magnet experiments. We finally made some headway this week with our read-alouds - finishing both Homer Price and Red Sails to Capri. We started our new read-aloud - The School Story by Andrew Clements. I discovered that, after dinner, if I pull out a quiet activity such as markers and stencils or play dough, the kids will sit and listen while I read a few chapters. This has been a good way to catch up on our reading.

 Now, I don't feel like I am so behind any more. I am still not doing as many hands on projects as I would like but I have to remember to forgive myself. I am about 6 weeks away from having another baby and I am getting ready to move to another house without the aid of my DH. So, the timing is a little stressful and I will be glad when it is over (the move, not the baby yet - I am not prepared).


J is reading from the Beginner's Bible reader. She reads a story each day. We are slightly behind in the reading schedule but this doesn't bother me as much as being behind in the read-alouds.


J working on her handwriting. She works on a page a day but if she rushes through the page, I make her do it over.


She has plenty of review games with her reading curriculum. She is reviewing the 4th sound that "y" makes by reading the cupcakes and placing them together.


More practice reading, I try to sneak in as much as I can each day. Whether it is reading a recipe for me or reading her brother a book!


She took her first spelling test this week. She worked with the words all week - rainbow words, writing sentences, and drawing pictures.


J is working on her Science sheets about animals in South America. Even though her entire curriculum last year was about animals, she still loves learning/reading about them. J's highlight of the week was after we read Red Sails to Capri and we googles pictures of the secret cave - she couldn't believe that it was real! She wants to visit someday. Who wouldn't? Well, hope your week went well. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment