I have truly gotten my money's worth from my colored rice. I gave each kid a tin full of colored rice with several different magnetic items hidden in it. They had to use the magnets to find all of the items.
They quickly figured out that they could pick up ore than one magnetic item. They had some fun trying to see how many items they could pick up at one time.
J and Kaleb also discovered that magnets could move items such as these washers and magnetic marbles in the box lid.
While Kaleb was content to play with the rice and magnets, I had J test the strength of several magnets by pulling a pin. She would measure the distance that the pin would move to discover which magnet we owned was the strongest.
Kaleb discovered that he could pull a "cloud" attached to a paperclip in the air with his horse shoe magnet.
Lastly, I had J solve a riddle - I gave her a piece of paper, a nail, and a magnet. I asked her to pick up the paper without actually touching it. She figured out how to do it using her magnet. Go, J! So far, they have enjoyed Sonlight Science and magnets. We are waiting to "do" Science again.
No comments:
Post a Comment