Saturday, December 3, 2011

Book-n-Craft Advent Activities - December 3rd



The Snowy Day
Our third book is another favorite - The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats. This book is not necessarily a Christmas book but it does have snow in it. (work with me...) This is a charming book about a boy and a snowy day. We started out our activities with making snow dough. I am not sure where I found the recipe.

I had to half the recipe since I haven't found baking soda in bulk here yet.

She stirred in corn starch and water. For an added bonus, J added silver glitter. Now, when we made this, we were stirring and stirring and it just wasn't gettting firm. So we added heat and then cooled it in the frig. That seemed to do the trick. We made snowmen with it, adding toothpicks and bottle caps for hat.

Here is our snow family.


Snow Dough recipe
2 cups baking soda
1 cup cornstarch
1 1/4 cups water
glitter if you want to
cook on low heat until firm

We then made a snowman snack using a banana and some pretzels.


She cut the banana and added the arms. The eyes were little pieces of marshmallow (from America).


We played a game of Pin the Nose on the Snowman which I found here. She had so much fun,she kept trying.


My favorite was the nose on the door frame!


Our craft was an ornament made from an egg carton. She painted it white.


After the paint dried, she added eyes, a nose, and a scarf.


A little scary but kinda cute. Still counting down to Christmas, have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment