Saturday, December 17, 2011

Book-n-Craft Advent Activities December 17th

Christmas in the Big Woods (Little House)

Who doesn't have fond memories of Little House on the Prairie? This is a endearing picture book of a Christmas in the Little House. I hope to be able to share the chapter books when J gets older but, right now, these are good snippets. We read the book and discussed the differences between how we celebrate today and how they celebrated back then. We started our activities working with number recognition. J sometimes has trouble recognizing the higher numbers, so we are practicing.


J would turn over an ornament card with a number programmed on it and she could keep it if she could tell me what the number was. If she couldn't tell me, she flipped it back over (after I told her the correct number). Our craft was a big one - we made a gingerbread house. I have had this on my list for several years but they intimidate me. The ones I made with Keke always fell or broke, so I was nervous about this. I didn't want J to be upset if it didn't work.


After much frosting and lots of prayer, I got the house together. Not as neat as a professional but it is together and standing on it's own! J then used the left over frosting to add some candy I found around here.







J loved putting all of the candy on it. I had to keep reminding her the icing was glue-like and not to be licked off her fingers. It is still standing, that is definitely a first for me. The gingerbread house form was found at IKEA here. Not too bad, now I just have to keep Kaleb from eating it!


No comments:

Post a Comment